Full-Time PROJECT ASSISTANT
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Updated: May 2013 Position Title: Project Assistant – Lao PDR
Grade / Levels: Project Assistant
Department/Unit: Disaster Risk Management Systems (DRMS), ADPC
The Project Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the DRMS Head of Department, Senior Project Manager and Program Coordinators to:
• Provide administrative and financial support to the DRMS team in Vientiane
• Liaise with partner agencies (both government and non-government) in Lao PDR
• Assist the DRMS team as necessary on relevant project and assignment
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional non-profit foundation with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce impacts of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC’s activities is Asia with the South, South East and East Asia being the primary sub-regions. In 2005, nine countries, namely Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand, and Sri Lanka signed an intergovernmental charter establishing ADPC as an inter-governmental organization.
ADPC has 25 years of work experience in Asia Pacific region supporting the national and local Governments of its charter member countries as well as countries of the Regional Consultative Committee on Disaster Management (RCC); a regional mechanism established by ADPC in 2000 comprising of head of national disaster management offices of 26 countries in Asia and the Pacific. ADPC also shares a close partnership with sub-regional inter-government agencies, such as Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC), Secretariat for Pacific Community (previously known as SOPAC) on various DRR related themes including capacity building, strengthening institutions and systems, knowledge management and mainstreaming DRR into development. It works closely with a range of UN Agencies including UNDP, UNICEF, UNESCAP, WHO, WMO, UNISDR, UNOCHA, UN-Habitat, etc. on DRR related projects and consultancy services. ADPC works with international and local NGOs, national technical and training institutions, Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Further details on ADPC and its programs can be found at www.adpc.net
The primary focus of ADPC is to assist national and sub-national Governments in Asia to build capacity to respond to, prepare for and mitigate natural disaster risk and adapt to climate change. ADPC programs cover thematic areas such as disaster risk assessment, institutional systems development, climate risk assessment and adaptation, public health in disasters, mainstreaming DRR and climate change into development planning process, urban disaster risk management and information knowledge management. Accordingly ADPC is comprised of several thematically organized operational departments; Department of Safer Development Planning and Implementation, Department of Climate Change and Climate Change Adaptation, Department of Resilient Cities and Urban Risk Management, Department of Disaster Risk Management Systems, Department of Public Health in Emergencies, Department of Disaster Risk Assessment & Monitoring, Training Services Unit and Information Technology & Communication Unit. With over 100 staff from 19 countries and with professionals in development planning, engineering, architecture, agriculture, social sciences, health science, climate sciences and disaster risk reduction, ADPC has been involved for years in strengthening partnerships between nodal agencies on disaster risk management (DRM) and national agencies of water resource, agriculture, meteorology & hydrology, geology, physical planning, development planning & financing etc and other sectors for effective integration and institutionalization of DRR in development planning processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in coordinating with national and sub-national authorities and partners
• Arrange meeting appointments, sending invitation letters and follow ups
• Organize and manage travel and accommodation requirements
• Manage office filing, print out necessary documents and prepare and maintain work/project folders
• Manage of purchase stationery and office supplies
• Assist in managing the program bank account in Laos according to ADPC Guidelines
• Maintain pretty cash system for office needs, prepare travel authorization, cash advance, liquidation reports and reimbursement of travel cost
• Provide regular reports and timely submit to the Program management staff in Bangkok
• Compile relevant documents and information as required by the project and undertake translation of relevant documents from Lao into English and vice versa
• Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisors
Supervisor(s): Senior Project Manager, Program Coordinators
• Lao national, having university degree in development, art (English), social science, business administration or related fields. Knowledge on the subject of disaster management will be an advantage.
• Proven experience in dealing with Governments, NGOs, INGOs, IOs would be added advantage.
• Ability to work with a multi-cultural team, strong desire to learn; undertake new challenges; must be a creative problem-solver; must have self-confidence; willing to work hard; a good sense of humor and fun but serious about the quality and excellence of work.
• Practical experience in financial reporting and prudence in handling cash and project finances.
• Experience in event planning and management such as workshops and training programs.
• Good command of both English and Lao, in written and spoken and ability to write reports and present as well as translation of documents in Lao and English.
• Good computer skills especially in word-processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software.
• Willingness and availability to travel periodically under sometimes adverse conditions.
One (1) year contract with possibility of extension
How to Apply
Further details on ADPC and its programs can be found at www.adpc.net
1895 total views, 2 today