Full-Time Operations Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
PROFESSIONAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO: 2012/01
Issued on: 15 May 2012
Deadline For Application: 23 May 2012
PROGRAMME/PROJECT NUMBER OSRO/LAO/101/BEL Emergency assistance to restore the livelihoods of vulnerable farming families affected by floods in Khammouan, Savannakhet and Champassack provinces in Lao PDR
Promotion of home gardens for enhanced food and nutrition security is Northern uplands areas affected by multiple natural hazards
DUTY STATION: Vientiane, Lao PDR with possible travel to the project provinces
Position Title: Operations Officer
Duration: 07 Months
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist the FAOR/Emergency Project Manager to ensure effective and timely implementation, including in particular
• Procurement of project equipment; preparation of letters of agreement and service contracts as necessary; preparation of project budget revisions;
• Reviewing/editing/processing reports of various types; provide updated information on project financial and administrative status to requested technical officers; finalization of terminal reports/terminal statements and concluding letter.
• Analyze project status and recommend appropriate adjustments;
• Ensure close cooperation and collaboration with government counterparts at central, provincial and district level, including the Project Steering Committee, other implementing partners, beneficiaries and stakeholders.
• Participate in project design, planning and monitoring of project activities, ensure adherence to the work plan timeframe.
• Support the Programme Manager, in consultation with FAOR, FAO staff and the government counterparts, in preparing and maintaining a work plan, and an inputs procurement and distribution plan, within one month from start of the assignment.
• Participate in the collection and analysis of information from the government, INGOs, National Civil Society organisations and other sources on targeted districts, villages and beneficiaries and on general assessment of the situation in the field.
• Assist in preparing and review the technical specifications of the inputs to be provided under the projects.
• Identification of implementing partners to be involved in the distribution, training, monitoring, and evaluation of the inputs.
• On demand, travel to targeted provinces and districts to monitor and ensure smooth implementation of project activities.
• Assist with the translation of materials from English to Lao and vice versa.
• Prepare monthly reports (Field document) to the Project Manager and any other reports as required by TCES, FAOR or the Project Manager.
• Perform other duties as requested by his/her supervisor.
• In the absence of the Project Manager, assume overall responsibility for the daily management and operations of the Project Implementation Unit.
• University degree in agriculture, rural development, project management, or related fields.
• At least five years of relevant experience, in project implementation and management, preferably with an international organization.
• Proven experience from working with government agencies and knowledge on government procedures at both central and local levels.
• Good computer literacy and ability to efficiently use the basic Microsoft ® office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook ).
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, promptly deal with urgent problems as they arise and adhere to FAO policies and regulations.
• Good working knowledge of Lao and English, both oral and written.
• Good communication skills and able to work productively in teams.
• Depth of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments.
• Extent of experience in the implementation of projects in the field of agriculture and aquaculture.
• Extent and relevance of academic qualifications.
• Ability to establish good cooperation with partners and work successfully in multi-cultural teams.
• Proven ability to work independently, to prioritize tasks and deal promptly with urgent issues.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and make appropriate recommendations.
• Extent of both oral and written communication skills including the ability to write concise reports in English.
How to Apply
Please note that all candidates should possess computer/word processing skills and should be capable of working with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Interested applicants should submit their applications in writing (clearly indicating on the sealed envelope the Vacancy Announcement number 2012/01 to the FAO Representation, 128 Phonexay Road, P.O. Box 1640, Vientiane Capital, Tel: 021 413205, 414503. or email their applications to: FAO-LA-Vacancies@fao.org
Applications sent to any other address will be rejected.
The latest date for receiving the applications is 23 May 2012. Please note that application received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
In line with FAO policy on gender equity, the vacancy is open for both male and female candidates. FAO is also committed to increasing the number of ethnic group staff in its programmes and offices. Therefore, Candidates from ethnic groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Please note that FAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Director-General and may be assigned to any activities or office of the organization.
1107 total views, 1 today