Full-Time NATIONAL TRANSLATOR
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR LAO NATIONAL
Contract 12 Months renewable up to three years
Northern Uplands Development Programme (NUDP) is seeking a qualified National Translator, to support programme implementation by playing a key role between the specialists and the provincial and district staff through the provision of translation services.
NUDP being implemented under the Department of Planning, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, has received a Grant from the European Commission (EC), the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), the Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) for Development Cooperation.
NUDP sets out to eradicate poverty and achieve sustainable development in the Northern Uplands of Lao PDR targeting three provinces: Luang Prabang, Huaphanh and Phongsaly. The programme has two specific objectives: (1) to secure and to improve livelihoods of the rural poor in selected areas of the Northern Uplands based on sustainable land and
natural resource management, and community-driven approaches, and (2) to increase aid effectiveness. The programme is being implemented by a team of specialists. The expertise of the specialists includes programme management, aid effectiveness, agricultural policy making, financial management, programme monitoring, agricultural extension, farmer
organization, value chains, agricultural research, procurement and capacity building and training, among other things.
Experts will support provincial and district staff responsible for implementing NUDP field activities.
Duties and responsibilities
The Translator is a full-time position. He/she will work with the programme teams to provide translation services between
Lao and English languages. The Translator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Assist in day-to-day communication of programme activities, by translating messages from NPCO to provinces and districts and vice-versa
• Assist the Capacity Building and Training Specialist and other TA by translating training aterial from English into Lao
• Assist programme management by translating reports from the provinces into English
• Draft letters and take meeting minutes as required
• Help prepare bi-lingual presentations for workshops
• Provide translation and interpretation services at workshops and meetings involving international participants, including National Steering Committee (NSC) and DPs meetings
• Prepare other translations of documents and briefing materials for appointments, meetings and missions as required
• Provide other assistance and support as may be required by the NPCO consistent with the above-mentioned duties
• Complete fluency in Lao and English both written and spoken
• Excellent work organization
• Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
• Sound knowledge and experience of development issues in Lao PDR
• Computer proficiency: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Internet
Qualifications and experience
• At least Bachelor’s degree in English, modern languages or related field
• Overseas study in English-speaking environment preferred
• Experience in providing Lao-English, English-Lao translation and interpretation of technical documents, particularly covering development issues
• Experience working for an internationally-funded development project or organization preferred.
This Position will be based in the National Programme Coordination Office (NPCO) in Vientiane
Detailed job description available upon request.
How to Apply
Please send detailed CV toNorthern Uplands Development Programme (NUDP) by 18 May 2012
Indicating on the envelope:(Application for National Translator)
2nd Floor of Uplands Development Building, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Unit 7, Ban Phonxay, Saysettha District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Email: email@example.com or Telephone: (856 21) 263209
Contact person: Ms. Souparina SISOMBATH, Assistant National Programme Coordinator
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
1510 total views, 1 today