Full-Time NATIONAL COORDINATOR
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
National Coordinator, Grassroots Capacity Building for REDD+ in Laos
Application Deadline – July 14th, 2013
RECOFTC is a not-for-profit international organization with its headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand. The Center specializes in capacity building for community forestry and devolved forest management. RECOFTC engages in strategic networks and effective partnerships with governments, non-government organizations, civil society, the private sector, local people, and research and educational institutes throughout the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. With 25 years of international experience and a dynamic approach to capacity building – involving research and analysis, demonstration sites, and training products – RECOFTC delivers innovative solutions for people and forests.
To find out more please visit www.recoftc.org.
RECOFTC will soon be launching its new 5 year strategic plan 2013-2018 in October 2013. In addition to its regional work, RECOFTC will increase its impact by consolidating and expanding its engagement in eight program countries- Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand, and Vietnam. RECOFTC will continue to engage with other countries in the region and beyond where it can add value and play an important mutual learning role.
The Asia-Pacific region is undergoing remarkable economic and social transformations. Unprecedented growth in China, Thailand, Vietnam, India and Indonesia alongside emerging efforts to overcome poverty in countries such as Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal and Papua New Guinea are having massive impacts on the forests and local communities of the region. Therefore the rational for this is “to make a difference on the ground for people and forests through the demonstration of proven practices and processes. Lessons learned from these focal countries will be documented and made widely available through knowledge management”.
RECOFTC in Lao PDR
RECOFTC has been engaged in Lao PDR for many years, but more specifically since 2009 through a regional project on Grassroots Capacity Building for REDD+, funded by Norwegian Agency for Development (Norad). This multi-country project is now in its third phase of funding (January 2013-December 2015), and Lao PDR continued to be one of the five focal countries of the project. Other four countries include, Indonesia, Nepal, Myanmar and Vietnam. In Lao PDR during last four years, RECOFTC has delivered large number of training and capacity building activities on climate change and REDD+, at national, sub-national and grassroots levels in partnership with number of partner organizations.
RECOFTC is looking to recruit a National Coordinator for the Grassroots Project in Lao PDR. The contract period will be 24 months from August 2013 until July 2015 with a possibility of extension until December 2015. The National Coordinator is primarily responsible for continuing with the implementation of the activities of the Grassroots Capacity Building for REDD+ project in Lao PDR as per the agreed plan with Norad. National Coordinator will also liaise very closely with the regional project management team and the partner organizations. The overall objective of such an approach is to develop the capacity of stakeholders so that the message of REDD+ is conveyed clearly and transparently to the stakeholders, helping them to take informed decision to take part in the ongoing REDD+ process in the country.
The position of National Coordinator is for Lao National and will be based in Vientiane with frequent travel to project areas and in the region.
Specific responsibilities of National Coordinator under the Grassroots Project will include:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Coordination, communication and outreach
- Together with the regional project team, take forward the coordination and implementation of the grassroots project activities in Lao PDR.
- Continue coordination with National REDD Taskforce/Working groups and other climate change networks in the country, and liaison with relevant officials/members or department (s) on a regular basis to disseminate the projects’ achievements and lessons learned and represent the project in national and international events related to REDD+ in the country.
- Coordinate closely with partner organizations to ensure the timely completion of the project plans and activities
- Draft consultancy contract in close collaboration with regional project team and ensure their implementation
Lead the development/revision of training and capacity building materials for REDD+
RECOFTC in partnership with partner organization have developed a range of training and resource material on REDD+ in Lao language. These materials need to be regularly updated with inclusion of emerging issues in REDD+, such as social and environmental safeguards, including integration of gender in REDD+ discussions, concept of Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) in REDD+, technical capacity building for carbon measurement, benefit sharing mechanisms etc. National Coordinator will take a lead in facilitating the review and updating of these materials and products.
Besides training materials, project aims to develop other resource materials aiming to build the capacity of grassroots level facilitators, particularly on social safeguards. Such materials will need to be translated into Lao language from English, and therefore National Coordinator will have the responsibility to identify a translator, designer and printer to publish such products and coordinate their wider dissemination in the country.
Deliver the training and awareness program on REDD+
- National Coordinator will lead in delivering a range of training and capacity building programs on REDD+ at national, sub-national and grassroots level in the identified locations in partnership with partner organizations.
- At the grassroots level, the focus will be mainly on organizing awareness raising activities, consultation events, focused group discussion, policy roundtables, and issue based discussions. National Coordinator will have responsibility to lead the organizations of these events in partnership with local partners.
Documentation of project experiences, lessons learned and their dissemination
- Identify and coordinate with potential partner organization/consultant which can help in documenting lessons learned from the grassroots project, and disseminate them widely, including multi-stakeholder discussions, policy forums, and bringing out discussion papers and policy briefs in Lao and English languages.
- In consultation with the partner organizations and regional project team, identify and suggest key themes for organizing documentation of lessons learned and approaches for disseminating them through appropriate communication channels.
- In partnership with partner organizations and other key stakeholders, coordinate the organization of the policy dialogues at the grassroots level engaging grassroots stakeholders, policy makers at the local level, CSOs, NGOs, women, ethnic minorities and other key stakeholders at sub-national level in the identified project areas.
Monitoring and evaluation
- National Coordinator will need to coordinate the monitoring and evaluation of the project activities in the country. This will need to be done in close coordination with partner organizations and the regional project team.
- For monitoring and evaluation, National Coordinator will be responsible for compiling data from all training events in excel format and share them with regional project team.
- National Coordinator will also be responsible for leading the documentation of the experiences of the project beneficiaries and stakeholders, including stories of change, in order to assess the outreach and impacts of the project activities.
- As part of regional and national level reflection and experience sharing workshops, National Coordinator will actively participate in such events and take the responsibility of sharing the progress from Lao PDR in coordination with the partner organizations.
Preparing Annual Plans
- National Coordinator will also be responsible for preparing annual plan of action for the grassroots project with budget estimates and realistic timelines and submit them to regional team for approval
- Coordinate with partner organizations to ensure timely submission of technical and financial reports of planned project activities as per the agreed terms and conditions.
- Other than reports from the partner organization, the National Coordinator will also be responsible to send monthly report of the progress of the project activities and his/her engagement in other related activities of the grassroots project.
Contribution to other activities of RECOFTC in Lao PDR
- Provide support to RECOFTC’s other ongoing projects as required
- Network with other natural resource and environment organizations and projects to share and learn lessons on capacity building for community forestry;
- Contribute in the development of Lao PDR Country Engagement Strategy development
- Perform other tasks as are assigned from time to time by the Country Program Coordinator based in Bangkok
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The Training Coordinator will have the following essential and desirable qualifications and experience:
- Bachelors degree in Education or Natural Resource Management (Masters qualification desirable)
- Minimum 5 years working experience in teaching and development of training materials
- Good knowledge on Climate change issues, especially REDD+
- Demonstrable strong experience in applying participatory tools and methodologies in capacity building or training programs
- Demonstrated experience in training course design, development, delivery, coordination, planning, networking, facilitation and material development
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to prepare capacity building or training concept note, training proposal, and report.
- Good written and verbal Lao and English
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including MS Excel.
- Lao National Only
- Available for regular travel to the field
- Experience in natural resource management in Southeast Asia
- Output and outcome oriented
- Experience in working with international organizations
- In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills):
- Interpersonal communication skills, individually and in-groups, with an ability to work as an active member of teams. This implies flexibility and open-mindedness.
- Posses leadership personality, and able to take on and solve problems quickly and efficiently;
- Hands-on experience and able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which is not inconsistent with an overall team approach)
- Ability to work in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV and a cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary requirements and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to HR@recoftc.org. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short‐listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. However, offers shall be based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
*RECOFTC reserves the right to offer the position at a lower grade.
1887 total views, 1 today