Full-Time INTERNATIONAL LAW SPECIALIST
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
International Law Officer (National)
Location: Vientiane Capital
Type of Contract: Local Service contract
Languages required: Lao and English
Starting Date: 20 March 2014
Duration of Initial Contract: One year (renewable)
Application deadline: 2 April 2014
The Legal Sector Master Plan (LSMP), which outline the broad requirements for the development of the legal sector into a comprehensive legal system setting the conditions for a Rule of Law State, has been formally adopted by the Government of the Lao PDR in September 2009.
The implementation of the LSMP requires a preparatory ad transitory phase in order to set up the adequate conditions for the start of comprehensive sectoral and systemic programme. Hence, in accordance with the Country Programme Action Plan, The UNDP Project is support to the implementation of the LSMP, located in Ministry of Justice, provide assistance to the Ministry and all legal institutions (People’s Supreme Court, Office of the Supreme People’s Prosecutor and Ministry of Public Security) is establishing the required national coordination mechanisms.
Beside, the Work Plan in Support to the Implementation of the LSMP ensures that a number of pilot activities are immediately undertaken and implemented. As a part f support LSMP Work Plan, the Ministry of Justice and its partners are seeking these position who has proven knowledge and working experience in those systems.
International Law Specialist (National): 1 position
The long-standing International Law Project officially ended its operations on May 31, 2013. As articulated in this project document, the International Law Project is expected to be fully integrated into the LSMP management and implementation structure, pursuing more synergy and increased coordination within the legal sector. Given this background, the International Law Specialist will play a central role in ensuring the implementation of the international
law-related components under Output 5 of the SPLSMP and also providing support for other Outputs because of the cross-cutting nature of the international law components. The International Law Specialist is also expected to either be part of or work very closely with the LSMP Secretariat as the “pillar head” of Output 5.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In close coordination with the LSMP Secretariat and National Project Director and also under the guidance of the Department of Treaties and Law at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the incumbent shall:
– Be responsible for timely implementation of all planned activities under Output 5
– Be responsible for leading and guiding the team created under Output 5
– Contribute to further strengthening the capacity of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (particularly the Department of Treaties and Law) by training the officials on international law-related subjects and transferring the knowledge to ensure sustainability
– Develop a strategy for international law-related components to remain relevant under the LSMP structure (clarify the strategic vision of international law-related effort in Lao PDR and its linkage to other components in the legal sector)
– Provide support for other Outputs when technical expertise related to international law is applicable and/or relevant
– Advise the Government, UNDP, and other stakeholders on international law-related issues
– Support the Government in developing policy papers on international law-related matters and technical legal documents as required.
– Mobilize competent national and international experts that are needed by the beneficiaries of the SPLSMP (mainly Output 5), following the agenda and activities that are supported by the Support Project
– Assist the Secretariat staff in preparing terms of reference (TORs) for required inputs (individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods, organization of training sessions, etc.) under Output 5
– In coordination with the International Senior Technical Advisor, closely liaise with all consultants to ensure that the planned deliverables are completed in a timely manner
– Finalize quarterly and annual work plans for Output 5, including the indicative budget
– Finalize quarterly and annual progress reports
– Plan and monitor the overall progress of Output 5
– Manage any potential risks, including the development of contingency plans
– Ensure that the use of resources is conducted in accordance with the UNDP regulations and procedures
– Closely liaise with the National Project Director, International Senior Technical Advisor, and LSMP Coordination Officer/Specialist on day-to-day implementation of Output 5
– Closely liaise with the LSMP Secretariat (or act as a member of the LSMP Secretariat) and give timely reports and updates
– Assist the NPD and Secretariat in identifying future opportunities and implementing a resource mobilization strategy
Qualifications and experience:
– Master’s degree in law, development studies, political science, or related field
– A minimum of 7 years in working in the field of international law, legal sector development, and project management
– Familiarity with the legal and judicial sector in Lao PDR (especially the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and its strategy (Legal Sector Master Plan)
– Experience in training government officials on international law-related issues
– High-level capacity to work with a wide range of stakeholders at different levels
– Strong inter-personal skills
– Strong planning and coordination ability
– Well-developed reading, writing, and speaking skills in both English and Lao
– Strong focus on results-based performance and ability to monitor performance.
– Experience working in a mixed cultural environment
How to Apply
Requirements for submission of applications:
• *Letter of interest, updated CV and other relevant documents;
• *Detail financial offer.
Please Indicated in e-mail subject or on the envelope
“Application for Project Staffs”
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be contracted only shortlist candidate.
1707 total views, 2 today