Full-Time GIS SPECIALIST / ANALYST
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Centre of Development and Environment (CDE) of the University of Bern, Switzerland in the Lao PDR is active in the fields of sustainable development planning. CDE is carrying out a variety of projects with a strong focus on research and capacity building, particularly the Lao DECIDE info project (www.decide.la) and the spatial planning component of the Agrobiodiversity Initiative (www.tabi.la).
Position 1: GIS specialist/analyst
General Responsibilities: The Geographic Information System (GIS) specialist is responsible for the management of spatial data of a variety of projects and will carry out management and analysis of the spatial data. He/she will work under the guidance of the project managers and collaborate with the database specialist to conduct GIS-related work required within the projects.
Responsibilities (depending on qualification):
• Management of spatial data
• Mapping and analysis of spatial data
• Integration of new spatial data into existing spatial databases
• Preparation of user manuals and data documentations
• Provision of GIS training
• Preferably MSc/MA, BSc or equivalent degree inone of the following fields: Geography, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Engineering or related field
• Strong knowledge of ArcGIS and experience with or willingness to learn QGis
• Basic knowledge in the field of remote sensing is an advantage
• Excellent skills in written and spoken English and Lao
• Dynamic individual with good interpersonal skills, high job commitment
• Excellent skills in MS Office software applications
• Lao national or from neighbouring country
Work Place: Vientiane, CDE office
Commencement of Work: 1. December or as soon as possible
How to Apply
Application procedures: The application should include a cover letter outlining clearly her/his motivation and how the candidate meets the requirements for the position. In addition to the cover letter, the applicant should include a detailed CV and contact address of references.
Applications to be sent to: Centre for Development and Environment (CDE)
P.O. Box 1438, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Phone: 030 9881648; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 19.11.2013
2339 total views, 2 today