Temporary Fisheries Officer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
PROFESSIONAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO: 2012/01
Issued on:15 May 2012
Deadline For Application: 23 May 2012
PROGRAMME/PROJECT NUMBER OSRO/LAO/101/BEL Emergency assistance to restore the livelihoods of vulnerable farming families affected by floods in Khammouan, Savannakhet and Champassack provinces in Lao PDR
Promotion of home gardens for enhanced food and nutrition security is Northern uplands areas affected by multiple natural hazards
DUTY STATION:Vientiane, Lao PDR with possible travel to the project provinces
1. Position Title: Fisheries Officer
Duration: 03 Months
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in the preparation of a detailed work plan and associated procurement plan and distribution plan together with other project staff, government counterparts and stakeholders.
• Provide technical assistance, as required, to FAO project staff, to counterpart officials and to FAO implementing partners and make recommendations for any required procedures and changes to the project.
• Participate and give guidance to the government counterparts and the project staff on targeted districts, villages and beneficiaries based on collected information from the government, INGOs, National Civil Society organizations and other sources.
• On demand, travel to targeted provinces and districts to assess needs and to the implementation of project activities.
• Assist in identifying implementing partners to be involved in the distribution, training, monitoring, and evaluation of the inputs.
• In consultation with the technical officers in RAP, national counterparts and project staff, prepare and review the technical specifications of the inputs to be provided under the projects.
• Give technical advice on the preparation of Letter of Agreements and Service Contracts with Implementing Partners.
• Participate in the development and conclusion of training material, the organizing of trainings, and identify specific local training needs.
• Assist, in the revision and production of an inception report one month after the start of the assignment.
• Prepare monthly reports to the Project Manager and any other reports as required by TCES, FAOR or the Project Manager.
• Prepare a final technical report containing a complete overview of activities undertaken, major results obtained, problems encountered, and progress towards achieving the specific objectives of the project. A section on recommendations , presenting guidelines and advise on further improvement of strategies for future interventions should be included. The report should be submitted no later than two weeks after completion of the assignment.
• Assist with the translation of materials from English to Lao and vice versa.
• Perform other duties as requested by his/her supervisor.
• University degree in fisheries, aquaculture or related fields
• At least two years of relevant experience, including project implementation, preferably with an international organization.
• Proven experience from working with government agencies and knowledge on government procedures at both central and local levels.
• Good computer literacy and ability to efficiently use the basic Microsoft ® office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, promptly deal with urgent problems as they arise and adhere to FAO policies and regulations
• Good working knowledge of Lao and English, both oral and written
• Good communication skills and ability to work productively in teams.
• Depth of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments.
• Extent of experience in the implementation of projects in the field of fisheries and aquaculture.
• Extent and relevance of academic qualifications.
• Ability to establish good cooperation with partners and work successfully in multi-cultural teams.
• Proven ability to work independently, to prioritize tasks and deal promptly with urgent issues.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and make appropriate recommendations.
• Extent of both oral and written communication skills including the ability to write concise reports in English.
How to Apply
Please note that all candidates should possess computer/word processing skills and should be capable of working with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Interested applicants should submit their applications in writing (clearly indicating on the sealed envelope the Vacancy Announcement number 2012/01 to the FAO Representation, 128 Phonexay Road, P.O. Box 1640, Vientiane Capital, Tel: 021 413205, 414503.
or email their applications to: FAO-LA-Vacancies@fao.org
Applications sent to any other address will be rejected.
The latest date for receiving the applications is 23 May 2012. Please note that application received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
In line with FAO policy on gender equity, the vacancy is open for both male and female candidates. FAO is also committed to increasing the number of ethnic group staff in its programmes and offices. Therefore, Candidates from ethnic groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Please note that FAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Director-General and may be assigned to any activities or office of the organization.
1264 total views, 1 today