Full-Time DATABASE SPECIALIST
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Centre of Development and Environment (CDE) of the University of Bern, Switzerland in the Lao PDR is active in the fields of sustainable development planning. CDE is carrying out a variety of projects with a strong focus on research and capacity building, particularly the Lao DECIDE info project (www.decide.la) and the spatial planning component of the Agrobiodiversity Initiative (www.tabi.la).
Position 2: Database Specialist
General Responsibilities: The Database Specialist is responsible for the maintenance and further development of the project databases. He/she will work under the guidance of the project managers and collaborate with the GIS specialist to conduct database related work required within the projects.
Responsibilities (depending on qualification):
• Maintain existing databases
• Develop and design new databases according to project needs
• Migrate and convert data from different databases
• Documentation of databases and writing of user manuals
• Provision of training on use of databases
• Basic analysis of data stored in the databases
• Preferably MSc/MA, BSc or equivalent degree in one of the following fields: Computer sciences, Engineering, Geography, Natural Resource Management
• Extensive experience in databases management and development, particularly Postgre SQL and MS-Access
• Experience with open-source software
• Excellent skills in written and spoken English and Lao
• Dynamic individual with good interpersonal skills, high job commitment
• Lao national or from neighbouring country
Work Place: Vientiane, CDE office
Commencement of Work: 1. December or as soon as possible
How to Apply
Application procedures: The application should include a cover letter outlining clearly her/his motivation and how the candidate meets the requirements for the position. In addition to the cover letter, the applicant should include a detailed CV and contact address of references.
Applications to be sent to: Centre for Development and Environment (CDE)
P.O. Box 1438, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Phone: 030 9881648; E-mail: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 19.11.2013
1289 total views, 1 today